Pedro Gomez-Romero is Full Professor of the Spanish National Research Council (CSIC) since 2006. He is the Head of the NEO-Energy Group at the Catalan Institute of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, ICN2 (CSIC-BIST) in Bellaterra, Barcelona (Spain) (2007-).
Born in Almansa (Spain), B. Sc. and Ms Sc. Universidad de Valencia, Spain. Ph.D. in Chemistry, Georgetown University, USA, 1987, with Distinction. CSIC Researcher at ICMAB (CSIC), 1990-2007. Sabbatical at the National Renewable Energy Laboratory, NREL, Golden, Colorado, USA (1998-99). Vicedirector of MATGAS technology Center (2010-2013). Member of the Materials Science Committee of CSIC (2012- 2014). He is currently member of EuroScience, the Electrochemical Society, Materials Research Society, International Society of Electrochemistry (ISE) and the Asociación Española de Comunicación Científica (AECC). Prof. Gomez-Romero is a Fellow of the Royal Society of Chemistry (RSC) since 2014.
Prof. Gomez-Romero research is focused on the design and development of materials for energy storage and conversion (lithium batteries, hybrid supercapacitors, flow cells, solar-thermal energy, nanofluids) including a wide variety of materials from inorganics (LiFePO4) to Graphene, with special emphasis on hybrid nanostructures and nanocomposite materials with inorganic clusters or nanoparticles and polymers or carbons. His recent work focuses on novel Nanofluids for Heat Transfer in thermal-solar conversion and Electroactive Nanofluids for energy storage in flow cells. Also very recently, the creation of a spin-off company “Earthdas. Graphene mobility” aims at putting all the knowledge generated in the lab to work in the development of graphene-based energy storage devices.
Among various awards he has been recently awarded the CIDETEC Award for Research in Electrochemistry (2013-16), 2017
He has published over 200 articles, book chapters and conference proceedings, has filed 6 patents (ES, EU, WO) and has presented numerous invited research papers at international conferences and congresses. He is Scientific editor of the books “Functional Hybrid Materials” P. Gómez-Romero, C. Sanchez (Eds.) (Wiley-VCH 2004) and “Metal Oxides in Supercapacitors” (Elsevier, 2017, D Dubal , P. Gomez-Romero) . Prof. Gomez-Romero is very active in social communication of science through popular science articles, many invited conferences and courses and collaborations in the media. He is the author of the book “Nanomundo. Un paseo por la Nanotecnología, Materia/El País, 2016) and three award-winning popular science books (Metaevolución. La Tierra en el espejo (Ed. Celeste, 2001), Un Planeta en busca de energía (Ed. Síntesis, 2007) and “Creadores de futuro” Editorial Bromera, 2016). He is the Editor of the popular science web www.cienciateca.com.
Citations 8709, h-index = 46, i10-index 125 (Google Scholar, Jan 4, 2018)
Former Professional Activities
- Research Scientist CSIC Instituto de Ciencia de Materiales de Barcelona 1990-2000
- NATO Senior Scientist Fellow. At the National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL) (Golden, Colorado, USA). 1998, 1999
- Senior Research Scientist CSIC. Instituto de Ciencia de Materiales de Barcelona 2001-2006
- Coordinator of the Catalan Fuel Cell Network (Xarxa Temàtica, Generalitat de Catalunya) (2003-2005)
- Head of the Department of Solid State Chemistry and Crystallography, ICMAB (2004-2006)
- Vicedirector of MATGAS Technological Center, 2010-2013.
- Full Professor (Prof. de Investigación) CSIC, ICMAB and CIN2, 2006-present
- Head of the NEO-Energy Group (Novel Energy-Oriented nanomaterials) at ICN2, 2007-present
- Ph.D. (with Distinction, awarded to the best 10% of PhD Thesis)
- Fellow of the U.S.-Spain Joint Committee for Cultural and Educational Cooperation (Fulbright), Chemistry Department, Georgetown University (Washington D.C., USA). 1986-1987
- Award of the Fundación Domingo Martínez 2000 for work on the electrochemical reduction of CO2. (awarded to Nieves Casañ Pastor, Pedro Gómez-Romero, Eva María Tejada Rosales)
- Winner of the XIII award “Casa de las Ciencias de Divulgación” (year 2000) for the book “ Metaevolución. La Tierra en el espejo” (Metaevolution. The Earth on the Mirror)
- Winner of the International award “Esteban de Terreros” (FECYT) (edicion 2006) for the essay book “Un planeta en busca de energía” (A planet in search of energy).
- Winer of the Premi Europeo de Divulgacio Estudi General (2015) for the book “Creadores de futuro” (Creators of future)
- Fellow of the Royal Society of Chemistry (2014-present).
- CIDETEC Award for Research in Electrochemistry (2013-16), 2017
- Member of Royal Society of Chemistry.
- Member of The Electrochemical Society.
- Member of EuroScience (ESOF).
- Member of the Materials Research Society (MRS).
- Member of Sociedad Española de Materiales.
- Member of the International Society of Electrochemistry (ISE).
- Former member of ACS, AAAS
- Member of Asociación Española de Comunicación Científica AECC